Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New shopping centres and less personal space

For the benefit of those living in caves or simply holed up at home - ION Orchard is now open.

I havent visited any of these new shopping centres yet - Orchard Central, Tampines One, extended Jurong Point, ION Orchard, ILUMA (?). I have been to Bugis Junction recently and Iluma looked spectacular with flashing lights spelling out "Silver Screen Awards" (or something along that line).

Guys, well most guys, are not avid shoppers who enjoy the experience. I, for one, try to avoid squeezing with the crowd so I plan my shopping trip beforehand. If I decide to get a pair of shoes or a shirt, I would try to go early, or late.

Upon arrival, I would head for the particular section and find my item, browse a while for alternatives and leave. I think shopping is an acquired hobby, especially for guys.. though I do know of a few male friends who like to window shop for clothes and accessories. One of whom can literally spend hours tearing his hair out deciding which T-shirt looks better. Girls, on the other hand, love shopping a lot and that is quite an understatement. I can never fathom how they choose to take a lift for a measely 1-2 flights of stairs but can prance around looking pretty in shopping centres.

I must however, concede that most people who like shopping are usually good looking, well-groomed people who care more than a hoot about their dressing. God must have spent more time on blessing some people with good looks and a hot bod. Needless to say, they are more than often spoilt for choice with the wide selection of clothes and accessories.

Then again I wonder if these shopping centres can actually be profitable with so much competition already in Singapore. Comparing Singapore to Australia, this place is indeed overcrowded and shopping is more than a hassle, in fact, I think it is more of an unpleasant experience (jostling people around, impolite and untrained shop personnel).

On another note, I feel so much constricted and immobile especially in town (well thats what some youngsters call Orchard Road though imo Singapore is a town itself).

Everyone is confined to very little walking space especially during weekends and public holidays and I wonder if it does trigger claustrophobia in certain individuals (half-jokingly). You can hardly move around and I certainly dont recommend bringing young children/elders there during such "peak" periods.

Singapore is really overcrowded AND overpopulated. I bet many of us want some peace, tranquility and personal space to breathe. Certainly the IR is not going give us that.

No comments:

Post a Comment